So…I finished piecing my fish quilt a week or two ago. I made this especially for my baby boy, for when he’s much older and graduates to a real bed. I’m waiting to quilt it until my Caterpillar play quilt is finished. I designed the main fabric and got it printed with Spoonflower. I created ‘plenty of fish’, ‘fishbowled over’, ‘gold fish swim white’ and ‘gold fish swim blue’, as well as matching stripes. I then searched for fabric in the turquoise, aqua, blue, orange colour scheme and put it all together.
I decided to come up with my own pattern, which consisted of several different size blocks. The larger pieces were 8″, side seamed with two stacked 4″ squares, and then top seamed with two 6″ squares. This created a 12″ x 14″ block, of which I made nine.
It was more difficult than I thought to create a random look…I ended up just tossing completed squares in the air and arranging them in the order they were picked up. I tried to pair one in the blue family, and one in the orange, plus a fish print.
Again, I refused to hand stitch the binding, so I used a wave stitch on my machine to secure the back. This showed through on the front, next to the hidden binding seam, and I must say I quite like it.
It is much larger than I intended, 72″ x 84″, so I had to be creative with the backing as I didn’t have enough. I luckily had some extra squares of fabric, so I sewed them into a column and used it to break up the backing.
This is my second quilt and I’m starting to become much more proficient.
I love the end product…this is such a special quilt. It’ll be a long process to hand quilt it, but I get to be cozy under it while I work on it a little at a time.